About the About Me PageThe About Me page is a free page of HTML-based web space that eBay reserves for every member, whether you are a bidder, a seller, or both. You can use this space for almost anything, but since your About Me page will be linked anywhere your eBay member ID appears, the most obvious use is to promote your auction sales. Yes, you can also use it to talk about your kids, to link to photos of your boat, or to talk about how hard your college classes are, but these topics might be better suited for eBay Blogs.
When an eBay member maintains an About Me page, a small red and blue "me" icon appears next to their member ID wherever it is shown on eBay. Clicking on this icon displays the About Me page that the member has created. For example, see these About Me pages created by active eBay members: sample 1, sample 2, sample 3, sample 4.
What's On About Me Pages?
Traditionally, sellers' About Me pages contain one or more of the following, all of which benefit bidders or buyers in some way:
- Company logo, if you have one. This helps to build brand recognition.
- Linked photo(s) of your brick-and-mortar storefront(s), if your eBay sales are complemented by retail sales in your local area.
- Details from your auction listings that are consistent from listing to listing, including such things as your warranty and return policy, accepted payment methods, shipper or carrier, and email and/or telephone contact information.
- Link(s) to your other eBay auction listing(s) so that bidders can easily find other items you're currently selling.
- Link(s) to your best feedback so that bidders can read testimonials about your products and services.
In addition to the items listed above, it's not out of order to include a few details about yourself—anecdotes or information that might help to humanize you to your bidders. This is important because bidders are more likely to search for you and your items directly in order to make a repeat purchase if they think of you as a person or business that they are familiar with.
Fun About Me details can include things like a small paragraph about how you got started on eBay, your favorite types of items to sell, what you like best about being an eBay seller, or fun things you've bought over the years with your eBay earnings. Let your bidders know that in addition to being a competent eBay businessperson, you're also someone who simply has a lot of fun buying and selling online.
Ready to create your About Me page? Read on for an easy walk-through.