The front page of eBay's website is the most important and basic tool for those wishing to become successful eBay users. Most of the major areas and features of the eBay website can be accessed via the front page:
- The Hello greeting. If the line at the top of the page reads Hello! Sign in or register, click sign in so that you can sell and make purchases or join if you haven't already.
If you see Hello, so-and-so, you know that the user so-and-so is already signed in. If so-and-so isn't your eBay User ID, sign out and then back in again before using the site.
- The navigation bar. Across the top of the website you'll notice a bar containing the words Buy, Sell, My eBay, Community, and Help. Clicking on any one of these words on eBay's front page will take you to the related portion of the eBay website.
- The search box. If you're interested in shopping, the search box may be the easiest place to begin. Type the name of the item you'd like to buy or a related keyword or phrase into the box, then click the Search button to display a list of the matching items for sale at eBay.
- The categories drop-down list. If too many items or items of the wrong type turn up in your search, return to the front page and click on the drop-down list next to the search box labeled All Categories. Select a specific type of item to search for from this list, then click the Search button to repeat your search with this new, narrower scope.
- The Specialty Sites and Categories indexes. Down the left side of the front page you'll see two lists of clickable links, one labeled Specialty Sites and the other labeled Categories. Follow any of these links to window shop or browse entire types of items and sales, rather than perform a targeted search for a specific word.